Crock Pot Yam Recipe
Yams or Sweet Potatoes those orange fleshed root vegetables is what this recipe is all about.
This is DELICIOUS - an absolute 5 STAR recipe.
I can't tell you how much I LOVE this recipe - I have made it 3 times in 3 weeks and you all know how I love variety.
My sister (Tina) came to visit and I cooked it for her just to see if she would like it too - she loved it. And has been hounding me all week to get this recipe on the site so that she can make it too. She rang me yesterday to say she had even bought all the ingredients she could remember and really wanted to make it. So Tina, finally here it is!
But before I give you the recipe - I can't take the credit for this one. I have adapted this recipe (only slightly) from the cookbook "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook" but Beth Hensperger and Julie Kaufmann. It's a great cookbook and I highly recomend it. It's available from Amazon (that's where I got my copy :-) and I have included a link just here - and it's on special!.
I have made it into many steps but it is really very quick to put together!
And I am just in the process of testing a second crock pot sweet potato recipe - right now it's cooking for dinner tonight. It is similiar to this recipe but inlcudes pineapple, so if it's good I will add it soon too.
On your coconut yams recipe is the shredded coconut sweetened or unsweetened?
It looks delicious!
Lisa M (United States)
Thanks for the email.
It is delicious - I used sweetened (I will go and add that to the recipe). Though because of the amount of sugar and moisture present I don't think it would make a huge difference to use un-sweetened.
Lisa "The Crock Cook"
Crock Pot Yams (Sweet Potato) with Coconut and Pecans
2 pounds (1kg) Yams or Sweet Potatoes (orange flesh)
¼ tsp coconut essence (or extract) (important don't omit this)
¼ tsp vanilla extract
¼ cup butter (melted)
½ cup brown sugar (light or dark)
¼ cup shredded coconut (sweetened - see note above)
¼ cup pecans
2 tbls (approx) cold butter
1. Melt the butter - I just put it in a mug, in the microwave for 20 seconds.
2. Spray your crock with cooking oil or coat with butter to prevent sticking.
3. You can peel the Yams if you prefer but I leave the skin on, more fiber and it tastes great (just make sure it's clean :-)
4. Slice the Yams into ½ inch thick slices.
5. Arrange the Yam slices in the crock, overlapping the slices. You will probably need a couple of layers.
6. Mix the coconut essence and vanilla with the butter and pour over the yams.
7. In a small bowl mix together the brown sugar, coconut and pecans - sprinkle over the yams.
8. Cut the cold butter into little pieces and dot over top of yams.
9. Cook on low for about 6 hours - pierce with a skewer or fork to check if cooked. Should be soft when done.
Serve with whatever you like - it goes well with pork chops!
And is very tasty cold (or hot) the next day as left overs.
MORE Vegetable Crock Pot Recipes
For more about Crock Pot Recipes go to our home page.
Breakfast Crock Pot Recipes
Dessert Crock Pot Recipes
Pork Crock Pot Recipes
Beef Crock Pot Recipes
Chicken Crock Pot Recipes
Lamb Crock Pot Recipes
Soup Crock Pot Recipes
Vegetarian Crock Pot Recipes
Pasta Crock Pot Recipes
Ground Beef Crock Pot Recipes
Slow Cooker Recipes
CrockPot Recipe Tips